Feb 28, 2014

My Cooking Madness!

So, I like to cook.  I like to cook with a recipe to follow.  I like to cook when I have all the ingredients on the counter ready to go.  I like to cook when I have plenty of time and I'm not starving.  And I like to cook....alone.  I can get flustered easily, so it is best just to have a quiet environment where I'm alone with my recipe!  Well, insert said 5-year old into the picture with a husband who doesn't get home till later, and well, there goes that pretty picture I just painted!

During some down time at work yesterday I starting reading my normal blogs and browsing Pinterest.  I found the one of the recipes from Megan's Blog which led to me a few others as well.  So, I got my child busy with her homework and I went to work.  My goal was three new recipes, I only got to two... but they were delicious and I'm already excited for my lunch today!

Zucchini Boats 
Now, go ahead and tell me you don't like zucchini.  I hear it all the time.  However, zucchini actually doesn't have much of a taste when it is layered with other things.  I grew up with it fried...mmm...but, alas, that doesn't happen very often anymore.

This recipe was super easy (I used ground turkey) and the flavors were very nice.  It has about the same items I use in my stuffed peppers, but the ketchup (catsup?) made it taste a bit different, which was nice.  I did add some more seasoning though; garlic powder, Mrs. Dash Table Blend.

I also had to cook for about 35 minutes for my zucchini to get soft.  They were super yummy (and EASY!) and I will add to my food rotation!





Avocado Feta Dip
I didn't set out to find a recipe to make this dip, it just kind of found me.  However, I knew I had most of the ingredients at home, so I went for it!  I LOVE avocados.  Like, could eat 2-3 a day... mmmm.  The feta added such a creaminess flavor that I really could just eat it all day.  The pita chips in the photo look great too, but alas, I'll just use bell pepper to dip!

I seeded and cut the ribs out of my jalapeno because I wasn't sure just how spicy I'd like it.  The next time I make it, I'll keep a bit of heat in the pepper.

Also, if you don't have a super power blender... this may be a challenging recipe.  My Ninja even needed me to speak nicely to it to get it all blended.  It is super thick, but oh so yummy.

I used Reduced Fat Feta - It called for 1/2c. but I used my full 6oz. package.  This may have added to the difficulty in blending.

Go make it and eat up!





And for my next trick..
I love me some oatmeal.  I eat it almost every morning with some sort of fruit, chia seeds, walnuts, and a sweetener of some sort.  When I came across this website (which I will definitely be making more of her things!) I knew I needed this oatmeal in my life.  However, I do know that this will be a treat for me and not an everyday morning occurrence because I may not be able to control the portions if it is as yummy as I'm hoping!

I'll sub the natural peanut butter for almond butter.  There is also a chance my milk is bad (don't judge), so I may be using my Almond Coconut Milk instead of the regular milk.  I really wanted to find unsweetened coconut, but I also didn't want to go all around town last night with the kid, so we settled at Walmart and they only had the sweetened version.

I'll make this tonight and let everyone know how it goes!

In other news,
My amazing Mom just purchase me and my sister a Fitbit.  I really just thought (may still think) it is a glorified pedometer with sleep tracking.  But, I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes.  I've had some reviews that it may not track my running steps or my work out steps, etc.  So, I'm open to any suggestions on how you make it work the best for you!



Absolutely love love love this quote!





1 comment:

Julie said...

Your avocado dip looks so good--I absolutely love feta. Did it brown during storage? I have thought about getting a Fitbit, so will watch for your thoughts on it. I have found unsweetened coconut at Walmart in the frozen fruit section.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails