Apr 9, 2014

Chia Seed Pudding Reviews

So, until about a month ago, I'd never tried a chia seed.  Chias were those planter things that grew green grassy hair.  But, never fear, they are actually real and apparently pretty healthy!

I am always looking for new breakfast foods that are fast and easy to eat in the car.  5am club happens 3 days a week for me and I don't go home after the gym.  So, I'm usually eating in the car on the way to work.  I was browsing Pinterest and found several chia pudding recipes.  I wasn't convinced, so I picked out three to try.
*You can use any milk that you prefer.  The recipes called for almond milk, but I'm more of a coconut milk fan myself.  I'm learning to like the almond/coconut mixture by Blue Diamond
The creating is super fun and pretty!
Trial 1:
This recipe called for 1 banana, 3 tbls. chia seeds, 1/4 c. coconut milk, and 1 tsp. vanilla.
This was our least favorite.  I liked that it packed a whole banana in there, but it was way too thick.  The chia seeds create a gelatin type texture, so placing those in the thick blended banana was a bit much.

Trial 1

Trial 2:
This recipe used 1/2 c. coconut milk. 2 tbls. chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tbls. honey.
We LOVED the taste of this one, but I drank more than I spooned.  I was excited the taste was on point though, because just adding another tbls of chia would probably help the liquidness.

Trial 2
Trial 3:
This recipe used 3 tbls. chia seeds, 2 tbls. honey, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1/3 c. coconut milk.
Nailed it.  This was one great. Almost, too sweet.
And forgot to take a picture of it.

So, my own thoughts:  I found what works for us... 3 tbls. chia seeds, 1/3 c. coconut milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1 tbls. honey or agave.  It is DELICIOUS!

Unfortunately, I've been out of chia for the past two weeks, so we have gone back to overnight oats.

1/2 c. Almond/Coconut Milk, 1/3 c. quick oats, 1 tablespoon sugar free jam/jelly/preserves of your choice.  Right now we are using Raspberry.  This recipe is delicious and quick and easy.  I make 4 in the evening and then we have breakfast for the next two days (2 of us eat these).  I use the same small mason jars as in the pictures above.  Tis recipe is also great with fresh fruit as well.  (I've thought about adding chia to this, but I'm afraid it would become way too gelatinous/thick.)



Happy Breakfast!

And because we are cute... (more on this giraffe in my next post.. )


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails